Saturday, May 11, 2013

Acts 23:12-35 The Plot to Kill Paul and Paul Transferred to Caesarea

Well today’s reading takes an unexpected twist. I’m not surprised the Jews want Paul dead, but I’m surprised how they conspire to kill him. Forty men take an oath to not eat or drink until they have killed Paul. Then they go to the Sanhedrin and tell them of their plan and what their part will be in the murder of Paul.

Luckily for Paul, his nephew hears about this plan and informs Paul. Paul sends his nephew to the commander. The commander believes the story and decides to move Paul. So he send Paul, heavily guarded, in the dark of night to Caesarea. The commander also sends a letter to Governor Felix explaining the situation. Felix agrees to hear Paul’s case once his accusers arrive. Until the case can be brought before him, Felix orders Paul to be kept under guard at Herod’s palace.

I’m amazed that forty men, presumably faithful Jews, would plan premeditated murder. That is what it is, today I think they would be charged with conspiracy to commit murder and if they succeeded, first degree murder with the possibility of the death penalty. This was no small plan. They wanted to kill Paul, and even took an oath to not eat or drink until they had.

I wonder how they justified themselves. How did the members of the Sanhedrin justify joining in on the conspiracy? Their role was to make it possible for others to commit murder, under today’s law they would be charged as if they had committed the murder themselves. They would not have seen the blood, but they would had a crucial part in Paul’s death.

I have not knowingly led to the death of another person, but how have I been part of a conspiracy to kill God’s love and grace? I’d like to think that I have never been a part of the death of God’s love and grace, but I’m sure I have. Maybe I “killed” a piece of a person with unkind words or by ignoring him/her. Maybe I conspired to not let someone be a part of something, which killed God’s love in me.

Lord God of all hope and love, please forgive me! I have sinned against you and my neighbor by killing your love in me and others. Please help me to see Christ in everyone I meet and help me to bring Your love to all those I encounter. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment