Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Acts 21:1- 22:5

Well yesterday caught up to me.  Sorry for not posting. Although I didn't post, I was able to spend some time reading the selected passage for the day.

Over the past two days the story has continued with Paul and the others making their way back to Jerusalem.  They realize that Paul will be arrested and yet Paul is still determined to go.  When Paul and the others arrive in Jerusalem they immediately meet with James and their fellow followers. Part of the stir around Paul is a rumor  that Paul is teaching the Jews to forsake the laws of Moses.  At the urging of James and as a way to quell the rumor Paul undergoes the rites of purification. However, Jews from Asia show up and rile up the crowd.  Paul is arrested, but convinces the tribune to allow him to address the crowd.  The story ends with Paul giving his pedigree a "Jew born in Tarsus..." Tomorrow  Paul's speech will continue with the crowd hearing the story of his conversion.

As we were reading yesterday's story, my daughter asked, "Does God want Paul to die?"  The question took my breath away and didn't have a response for the moment. Once I collected myself I said this,  "God has given Paul a mission to fulfill and sometimes with that mission bad things might happen and in this case Paul might be killed. That doesn't mean that Paul is not called to follow the path that God has laid out before him."

Where has God called you to do something that has been less than popular, that may put you in danger?

No comments:

Post a Comment