Thursday, April 4, 2013

Peter's Preaching draws 3,000 new followers

Well we have arrived at day four of the Challenge and want to encourage folks to keep at it. I have found that for the last two days I have yearned to find out what's next in my bible reading, what surprises does God  have in store for me.  Although we have been focusing our reflections on Acts, I know there are others  reading other parts of Holy Scripture.  We would love to hear from you. Tell us how it's going, we would love to hear what are you reading, or what are you curious about.


Now onto Act 2:37-47

Well the results are in, Peter may have preached the most successful sermon ever.  Three thousand people were cut to the heart and became followers that day.  I was struck throughout the passage by Luke assuring us that it was God who was giving the growth, God who was at work. In vs. 47, Luke writes,  "And day by day the Lord added their number those who were being saved."   But I also noticed that the growth and the gift of God's Holy Spirit only came to those in the crowd who repent and are baptized.  The growth could not happen unless people were willing to turn their lives over to God.   It was a two way street.  Both God and the people dancing together.  Where is God inviting us to dance?  Where might the Spirit be calling us to move, to work?  

1 comment:

  1. What struck me is that everyone received the Holy Spirit in baptism. The Holy Spirit is what gives us gifts and the power to use them. We receive these things immediately, no matter how old we are, what our station in life is or where we live. For me, this means helping all our members, young and old, to find and use those gifts. What would the world look like if everyone shared their gifts completely and freely? How do I help our members, especitally our kids and teens, find and use those gifts?

    ReplyDelete