Thursday, April 11, 2013

Acts 7:1-53 - Stephen’s Speech to the Sanhedrin


Today’s reading continues Stephen’s trail before the Sanhedrin. They have accused him of blasphemy against Moses and God. Stephen’s response is to remind the Sanhedrin of the Israelites' history. It is not a pretty picture, again and again the religious leaders rejected God by rejecting those He sent. What is worse is that Moses and each prophet were sent to help these people and they rejected them, even killed many of them. Stephen has a courage that few people possess, he actually tells these leaders that have enormous power they are murderers!

I can’t help but wonder what the people listening to Stephen were thinking. Did some nod their heads and say to themselves “yes, I have sinned, I rejected God?” Why did the members of the Sanhedrin allow him to give such a long speech? He must have been a captivating story-teller.

How closely he followed in Jesus’ footsteps! I do not sense that Stephen was afraid of those persecuting him or the consequences of what would surely happen for being so bold.  He had the courage to tell it like it was and remind those listening that history was repeating itself, AGAIN! These people, God’s Chosen People, were once again rejecting God’s help by rejecting the Anointed One, Jesus.

How do you relate to Stephen’s audience? Are you outraged by his boldness in reminding us of our sinful nature? Or are you nodding your head and saying “yes, I am a sinner, I have rejected God’s help in this instance or that situation?” Or are you more like Stephen, boldly proclaiming the Good News?

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to think I am Stephen, but I know I am not. Perhaps I am when in the pulpit, but when I am away from the protection of my "role" I am a head nodder. I think lots of Episcopalians are head nodders. Why? I think because we are afraid, afraid of standing out, afraid of offending others. Fear. Fear turns us away from God.
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

    ReplyDelete