Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 8: Acts 5:1-16 All In Christianity

Well the story today took a somewhat unexpected turn. Ananias and Sapphira have sold a piece of their property, but when they lay the proceeds at the feet of the apostles, rather than giving it all, they hold back a portion for themselves. This is in contrast to what Barnabas had just done in chapter four.  Pretty much immediately, they are struck dead.  Fear and trembling seize the church as they hear of these things.  But, even with this minor set back, the Spirit continues to infuse the church, people are healed, and its numbers increase daily.

As I reflected on Ananias and Sapphira I began to wonder what are the  areas of my life that I hold back from God.  Where do I hold back gifts?  I wonder in my relationship with God, where am I not all in? I think this story is a stark reminder  that this relationship we have with God is meant to be, excuse the Texas Hold-em poker analogy, All In. There is no part way in or just dipping our toe in the water relationship. God jealously wants all of us.  And,  I guess if we don't go all in, we might as well be good as dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment