Friday, April 26, 2013

Acts 15:1-21 The Council at Jerusalem

In today’s reading the apostles and elders meet in Jerusalem to decide if the Gentiles that have been baptized must need to be circumcised. Paul and Barnabas traveled to Jerusalem to share with the apostles and elders all that had happened on their mission trip. The believers that were members of the Pharisee party say that the Gentiles that have come to faith must be circumcised according to the law of Moses.
 
Peter speaks first, reminding everyone about his experience in Caesarea at Cornelius’ house. He plainly states that God knows the heart of people and He showed his acceptance of the Gentiles by giving them the Holy Spirit. Peter says that God made no distinction between Jew and Gentile and asks why they are trying to test God.

Next, Barnabas and Paul tell those present about the miraculous sings and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them. When they finished James quotes Isaiah and says that they shouldn’t make it difficult for the Gentiles. Instead they should write to the Gentile believers and tell them to follow the Mosaic food laws.

As I read this passage, Peter’s question “why do you try to test God” caught my attention. How often have I tested God? What does that say about my faith? I think I missed something, Peter says “try” not that we can test God but that we try. So as I try to test God perhaps I fail to let Him work fully in my life. Maybe I miss the miracle because I’m too busy questioning God’s ability.  

No comments:

Post a Comment